The New England Revolution started the regular season 2-8-2. They’ll end the regular season with a spot in the playoffs. After adding Bruce Arena as coach and bringing in striker Gustavo Bou, the Revolution clinched a playoff spot on Sunday with a 2-0 win over NYCFC. Teal Bunbury scored the winner in the 66th minute and Bou finished the game off with a goal in the 89th minute, securing at worst the last playoff spot in the Eastern Conference. New England could still finish as high as fifth with a game to go.
Bou’s late goal came on an absolutely ridiculous chip from way outside the box. Take a look:
What a goal, and what a moment to clinch a spot in the playoffs. Later in the day’s action, Real Salt Lake also clinched by beating the Houston Dynamo 2-1.
Now, all that’s left are two spots in the Western Conference to be decided next weekend.
- D.C. United 0, NY Red Bulls 0
- Atlanta United 1, Montreal Impact 1
- New England Revolution 2, NYCFC 0
- Chicago Fire 2, Toronto FC 2
- Orlando City 1, FC Cincinnati 1
- Columbus 2, Philadelphia 0
- Minnesota United 1, LAFC 1
- Colorado 3, FC Dallas 0
- Vancouver Whitecaps 4, LA Galaxy 3
- Seattle Sounders 1, San Jose Earthquakes 0
- Real Salt Lake 2, Houston Dynamo 1
- Portland Timbers 2 Sporting KC 2
Here’s a look at the teams that already clinched a playoff spot and the ones that clinched on Sunday.
Teams that had already clinched:
- Minnesota United
- Philadelphia Union
- LA Galaxy
- Atlanta United
- Seattle Sounders
- New York Red Bulls
- Toronto FC
Teams that clinched a playoff spot on Sunday:
- New England Revolution
Next Sunday, the regular season comes to a close with all the teams in action. You can see select MLS matches on fuboTV (Try for free).